Match reports for U13s Waterfall Chairman's Cup, Round one and QF


Round one – v Cobham A  

On 13th January the U13s started off in Round one of their Waterfall Chairman's Cup against Cobham – away, we haven’t played Cobham since the Minis therefore wasn’t sure what to expect.

We started off slowly with Cobham attacking our line within minutes but the boys defended well and after a few set-plays by the forwards the ball was passed out to the backs who made ground, with Cobham having to defend their line and after some lose play we managed to score the first try. Our second try came a lot quicker, the boys seemed to have woke up, and after some stampeding by the forwards down the park and quick hands by the backs we scored our second try just before half time.

The second half was a different story, not sure what was discussed at half-time in the Cobham camp but they came out firing on all cylinders, unfortunately our players did not react fast enough and before long Cobham had scored, which was quickly followed by a second try. Eventually, our players got themselves organised and began to play as we did in the first half, pushing Cobham back and making some great attacking runs, leaving Cobham to defend. Once again after some great work by both the forwards and backs we managed to score from a blistering run by Maxie (our winger) leaving Cobham players for dust to score our 3rd try. At 3-2 up Cobham came back fighting and scored another well worked try. With the score now at 3-3 the boys were pushing even harder to score a wining try in the last few minutes of the match, continuously attacking Cobham's line but just weren't able to finish off and the game finished in a draw, achieving a win for Guildfordians based on the away rule. Won (4-3)


QF – v Wimbledon A

On 10th February our league match was scheduled to be a home fixture but with Stoke Park pitches closed Wimbledon kindly offered to host the game.

The boys started off well but with Wimbledon offering some strong defense, after some quick play between forwards and backs, Maxie (our winger) scored our first try from a good run well within our own half. The 2nd try was pretty much the same again, with forwards breaking down the defense and the backs passing wide for Maxie to run in another try. With only a few minutes left of the 1st half although Wimbledon were providing tough to breakdown in defense, eventually with some great quick pick-n-goes from the forwards we managed to break Wimbledon's defense with Rhys, one of our forwards, crossing the line to score our 3rd try.

The 2nd half was a lot tougher as Wimbledon came out fighting and with several ref decisions not in our favour, Wimbledon scored their 1st try, with their 2nd coming very soon after. Our players refocused and started to apply some pressure on Wimbledon's defense and after some great rucking by the forwards the ball was passed out to the backs, and with quick hands soon found its way to our winger Maxie who scored our 4th try. 

With only minutes to go once again with too many infringements by our players allowed Wimbledon in our half and in the final seconds of the game they managed to score their 3rd try, seconds later the final whistle blew for the end of the match, with a win for Guildfordians. Won (4-3)

Semi Finals – v Esher A

On 3rd March we played away for the next round of the U13s Waterfall league, due to Esher's Mini's Festival being held on the same day K.O was scheduled for 2pm.

We couldn't ask for a better start with Ollie (normally our no. 8, but played inside centre for the day) catching the ball at pace and scoring our 1st try within 5 mins, leaving Esher not sure what just happened. With both teams now focused the next 15 mins became a ‘Clash of the Titans’, neither of the teams giving way to each other. Both sides putting in thundering tackles and darting runs, one such tackle saw our Jack receive the ball at full gusto after some great hands by the backs to only collide head on with an Esher player the thud was heard across the park, unfortunately leaving Jack a little dazed resulting in him being substituted. Not long after the restart Esher's fullback kicked the ball long from within their half, looking like it was going into touch the cruel fate of the egg shape ball kept it in, and with our winger unable to predict the bounce, Esher's fallback was able to collect and score their first try.

Second half continued where the first half had finished, both sides not giving way, but once again with some blistering runs by the forwards we scored our 4th try early in the half.

Lost (7-4)

news articles

  • Give Rugby a Try Festival

    Sat 27 Apr 2019 14:57

    This brand new festival has been organised by all Rugby Clubs in Surrey to replace girls rugby at the Surrey Youth Games. The festival is aimed at Girls that have an interest in … view

  • Six Nations - Super Saturday 16th March

    Fri 15 Mar 2019 20:29

    Six Nations at the Clubhouse - Super Saturday 16th March Make sure you get yourselves down to the clubhouse for a great atmosphere and excellent drink deals! Italy v France (12:30) … view

  • U12s V Richmond in Waterfall Cup

    Mon 04 Mar 2019 22:38

    The u12 A’s played Richmond in the Waterfall Cup this weekend. It was a very competitive match, however, Guildfordians managed to secure a 2-0 lead. The end of the first-half saw … view

Guildfordians Facebook